Heading to Napa Valley? Why not mix a little chocolate into your wine tasting weekend? We all know that the region is a spectacular place to swirl and sip, but it's a gourmet gulch too, and what pairs better with some of the world's best wine than decadent and sweet chocolate truffles? Not much!
Chris Kollar’s tasty and gorgeous chocolates in decadent flavors are almost too beautiful and good to eat. Almost. And at his shop and kitchen in Napa Valley's quaint town of Yountville it's hard to resist things like red wine flavored truffles---it is Napa after all! Stop in to watch Kollar craft is handmade artisan chocolates through the glass window of his kitchen, while his partner Naomi Pasztor manages the front of the shop, plying guests with wondrous chocolate options, pre-packaged and to-order gifts, and drinks.
Kollar is from Atlanta, Georgia, but has worked in kitchens across the country for nearly 20 years. His passion for the sweet life led him to became a self-taught chocolatier only three years ago, and after a few tastes, you'll be certainly glad he did.
If you can't make it all the way to Napa Valley, fear not. He has an online store and a chocolate club.
Read about Kollar's secret food fetish and his recommendation for where and what to eat in his home town in this month's Foodie 5.
The Foodie Five
1. What is your favorite food memory from childhood?
I liked the trickery of fennel because it tasted like licorice candy but it was a vegetable.
2. You’re moving to a new kitchen in 5-minutes and can only take one gadget along with you. What do you grab and why?
My chocolate tempering machine because it's my girlfriend and she makes my life so much easier.
3. No one’s looking---What is your secret food fetish?
Hot chicken wings with blue cheese.
4. Someone is visiting your hometown, Atlanta, GA, for the first time. Where do you send him for dinner and what do you recommend he order?
Spiced Right Barbecue in Lillburn, GA and they should order beef brisket, corn soufflé, and fried okra all washed down with a mason jar of sweet tea.
5. Congratulations, you have carte blanche to dine in any city or country in the world! Where would you go and why?
Tokyo to have true authentic Japanese food.
If you'd like to be a featured foodie, or know someone who would, contact firstname.lastname@example.org